Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Mayor Palin: A Rough Record - Time Magazine


Another Practitioner of the Dark Arts Revealed!

8 More Shocking Revelations About Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin: In books ... and banning them?

Sarah Palin: Book Banner?

During the most recent
Presidential Election, the GLHS Library, in conjunction with the American Library Association, participated in a voter registration program to register students. Due to this heightened electoral awareness in the library -- complete with political and electoral book displays as well -- and because of the impending election, students frequently asked how I would vote during the approaching election season. Out of a respect for my own privacy, yet with a hint of insight, I typically counter with a variation of "I select the guy or gal that is best for education, and best suits my job." Now it appears that America's newest candidate for Vice President doesn't suit my job or align with my code of ethics. In a Time magazine article, former Wasilla mayor John Stein claims
"... that as mayor, Palin continued to inject religious beliefs into her policy at times. "She asked the library how she could go about banning books," he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. "The librarian was aghast." That woman, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn't be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving "full support" to the mayor."
I'm sure the liblogosphere will continue this story with fevered interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment